Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Is it too early to go overboard...

I'm going to turn into one of those parents, I can already tell.  You know like this:


OK... I won't be this bad, I promise! Maybe that will be more because I can't afford it than because I wouldn't want to do it, but I won't be that bad.  I can't help it, I'm an event planner.  So with Joe's 1st birthday in a short four months, I'm starting to gather ideas.  As a true Disney fanatic, I want to go with nothing less than the timeless Mickey Mouse!  Not just Mickey Mouse though, and not Mickey Mouse Clubhouse either, everybody has done that.  I wanted to put a twist on it and make it really unique and special.  So here is my theme:


That's right we're goin' all out RETRO!  A black and white, old school, Disney party.  The color scheme will be all black, white, and silver.  We'll have the black and white cartoons going on the tv, and my Pintrest board is starting to overflow with different ideas, and I've put some in a mosaic below.  Because they're just a gathering of ideas, you'll see lots of different colors, but I'll do everything in black and white.  We're even going to ask the guests to wrap his presents in black and white newspaper comics or black and white wrapping paper to add to the theme!


I thought I could make a Black and White 1 out of pictures from Joe's first year and hang it from the ceiling in front of our fireplace.  To make it easier I'm going to cut the 1 out of butcher paper and attach the pics so that it's just one piece to hang.  I'm also going to throw in a few black and white pics of the original Mickey.

We have two tables, I want to do the upside down balloons over the kitchen table and do the pom poms over the dining table.  All in black, white, and silver of course.  And I love the idea of decorating the high chair!  Let's face it, the boy eating cake will be one of the main attractions.  I thought I could put "Joe is 1" on little black Mickey Ear cut outs

I thought I could dip the mickey Oreos in white chocolate and put black buttons on them.  And I think I'm skilled enough in baking to use the cake as inspiration for my own 2 tier.  I can use fondant and a circle cutter to do the ears easy enough, and then do the piping in black with the little edible silver beads as accents.  I'll have to keep an eye out for a black and white Mickey figure lightweight enough to put on top.


Other ideas I've had include asking guests to help us contribute to a time capsule for Joe to open on his 18th birthday, and if we have snow putting a Mickey shaped snowman in the front yard.  The only thing I'm still stumped on is favors... I thought about putting Mickey shaped cookies in little bags that say Now it's time to say goodbye to all our company.  Em Eye See, See ya real soon! Kay Eee Why, Why because we like you! Em Oh You Ess Eee.

I'm sure I will have more updates on this one as it develops :-)


2 comments:

  1. Oh, you are going to be one of those parents! And, you have to "undo" Christmas very quickly before this all happens! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob and I decided on a family rule that Christmas will always come down on the day before Joe's birthday so it's never up for the actual day. The way the weekends fall this year the party will be Jan. 7, so that should give plenty of time in case we're lagging.

    ReplyDelete