Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Being Thrifty Results in Pure Awesomesauce

Literally, I made this Awesomesauce


That, my friends, is 128 loads worth of laundry for a buck fiddy. ($1.50)

Our last trip to the commissary was exhausting... excruciating actually.  Everything is just getting freaking expensive, and well, we're not gonna take it!  At least, not if we can help it which in this case we can :-)

I saw the idea on Pinterest first, and it linked to here. Read that in detail if you want to know the process, cause I'm too lazy (read as nap time is almost over) to type it all out myself.  I will say this, while it was very easy to make, you do have to follow the instructions TO THE LETTER.  Don't cut corners, don't try to use different sized mason jars, don't try to substitute ingredients, don't get impatient.  It takes time, but it was oh so worth it!

The initial cost IS more than $1.50.  I already had quart sized mason jars, but had to buy a full box of Borax, and Washing Soda, and the bar of Fels Naptha.  BUT all those things are super cheap, and the next few times I make the stuff I will only need to buy the Fels Naptha at a whopping 97 cents.

Here's the best part, the stuff works AWESOME!  Seriously, whites whiter, colors brighter, all that crap Tide tries to tell you in their commercials!  It gets the stains out of my cloth diapers better, it is super gentle, and doesn't have a strong smell (even though it totally stunk up my kitchen and made my eyes water while it was on the stove).  It works by just putting one spoonful of the stuff right in the drum of my HE machine with the clothes. 

Easy Peasy, Super Cheap, Win.

1 comment: