Thursday, January 24, 2013

My mom thinks I'm crazy...

...and so does my Grandma.  Meanwhile, my best friend is cautiously optimistic, and also a little shocked.

This is the part where you ask why... brace yourself.













I cut up my wedding dress. 

Yup this beautiful gown right here:

is now this:

I might be starting to panic just a little bit, damn you Pinterest!

After looking through hundreds of pictures of Baptism gowns that cost an arm and a leg, and not being able to resign myself to our little girl being in the super simple "boy" gown that my son wore, I fell into a great re-purposing craft.  Turn your wedding gown into a baptism gown for your daughter.  So many "pinners" had wonderful things to say:

"my MIL did this with hers, she made 3, one for each of her kids and all mine have been baptised in it...so special and a great hereloom (sp?)"

"We did this-I cut up my wedding dress and made her Baptism gown out of it. Pretty awesome. Yes, my dress still can be used-I cut the train off."

You can see more of the beautiful girlyness HERE

It's not like I'm ever going to wear it again right?  Plus, as an event planner I do not live in a world where I actually think there's a flying pigs chance my daughter will want to wear my old, outdated, "Mom, was that ACTUALLY popular back when dinosaurs roamed" gown.  I wore my mothers veil and we will save that for Evelyn, meanwhile the baptism gown can be another heirloom.  Genius!


Did I mention I've yet to sew any clothes at all on the my first sewing machine I've only owned for 6 months... Oh, AND I have no pattern, I'm designing that too.

Stay tuned for updates and more pictures as this process moves forward.  I think I'll have at least three emotional breakdowns between now and May 26th.  Luckily I have a good sewing support network to help me out.

1 comment: