Thursday, February 7, 2013

My Mom Thinks I'm Crazy; Wedding Gown Conversion Saga Part II

I finished drawing my pattern for Evelyn's baptism gown.  It really isn't hard at all!  First you find a dress you want to base your pattern off of.  Now I want Evelyn's gown to convert to a sundress for the reception after the service, so I needed two dresses.  One was a sundress in a 9month size and the other was Joe's baptism gown which I only needed for the skirt. Below is the sundress I used.


Next you need wrapping paper.  Yup, that's the key.  Any kind of paper will do, some use grocery bags others butcher paper, but I like wrapping paper.  Especially Hallmark wrapping paper.  It's not the cheapest option, but it has a grid on the back that makes drawing your pattern super easy.  See!


Trace the dress using the grid to keep everything straight and then grab your tape measure to make your seam allowance.  I like a very generous seam allowance, and usually measure out about a half inch. I traced the bodice, and the two skirts.  Then I cut the bodice in half, I will cut the fabric for the front along a fold so it stays symmetrical.  Then I trace the half twice to make a left and right side of the back adding an inch along the center seam on each piece so I can put buttons and button holes.  Here are all the pieces.


And a close up of the bodice pieces


I'll start cutting actual fabric next week.  I'll be cutting every piece twice because the dress will have an organza overlay.  My wedding gown didn't have organza or chiffon or any other type of sheer fabric, so I'll be setting this aside until that can be purchased.

But there you have it, a pattern.  Not so difficult is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment